Date of deployment: 10/2016
- Establishes a virtual clinic for training, information sharing and workforce management
- Enables ARCHEMED teams to focus on applying hands-on knowledge
In Eritrea, the initial focus of ARCHEMED is to use SATMED for teaching and pathology in the capital city of Asmara at the Orotta Hospital. The two ARCHEMED hospitals in Asmara – with an approximate population of one million people - are the only institutes of advanced secondary and tertiary care in Eritrea.
ARCHEMED teams visit regularly and are active in various disciplines, focusing on hands-on training in surgery and intensive care, as well as the teaching of students.
For teaching, ARCHEMED runs a residency program that is recognised by the government of Eritrea. There are also official ties with Charité – Medical University of Berlin which is one of Europe’s largest University Hospitals which also runs dedicated programs for international students.
At the initial phase of SATMED, ARCHEMED has created a “virtual clinic” that includes three areas:
- A teaching area that includes, among others, structured teaching material, standard operation procedures (SOPs).
- A clinical area that allows medical information to be captured and used for consultancies or teaching of students. In addition, for pathology, the imaging tool of SATMED can be used.
- A workforce management area that allows documents to be shared and organised across the organization.
Later on, ARCHEMED hopes to extend SATMED activities outside Asmara. ARCHEMED is very active in the province hospitals in Keren and Barentu, both of which are typical institutes of primary care.