The OpenMRS tool (www.openmrs.org), which is integrated into the SATMED platform, allows a systematic collection of electronic health information about an individual, patient or population through the use of such digital records as Electronic Health Records (EHR) and Electronic Medical Records (EMR) and can be shared across different health care settings. OpenMRS offers easy-to-use baseline functionalities and is intended as a platform that many organisations can adopt and modify to fit their specific needs (such as for clinics with sub-specialties).
- Easily create data entry fields (adopted to the needs of individual clinics)
- Intuitive interfaces for data entry
- Runs on personal computers as well as mobile devices
- Synchronisation of data between different sites (for example, hospitals)
- To ensure data privacy there are two concepts: (1) No data identifying patients is used in OpenMRS. This means clear names and birth dates are replaced by a (pseudo)anonymized patient-ID. Such ID can be created with a separate SATMED tool; (2) OpenMRS is installed locally (on a local computer) and only encrypted data is processed through the SATMED platform. The keys for decryption are kept by a trusted third party (comment: currently we are evaluating this issue together with the “Security & Trust” Department of the University of Luxembourg).
- Can be combined with SATMED videoconferencing for interactive discussion of clinical cases
- Can be combined with SATMED group management